Sunday 26 October 2014

Enable .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 2012 Azure Virtual Machine (VM) - Error Code 0x800F0906

Yesterday I tried to install Ms SQL Server in a Azure VM that was running Windows 2012 R2, but it would complain about not being able to enable it.

So I tried from Server Manager and I got the following error:


Since this is a Azure VM, I don't think I should be downloading the Windows ISO, so ... well, it turns out that this is a known issue for which there is a fix, so all you need to do is apply the latest Windows updates and then it will install fine.

Control Panel -> Windows Updates


11 updates, WTF MS?


The one we care about.

The question I have is why in the name of all that is holy, isn't the fix already applied when the VM is provisioned? I get that MS can't just release a new image for every fix but preventing the install of SQL Server seems to be a big enough issue to warrant a new image, even if there are SQL Server VMs, but they are more expensive and .... at any rate, hope it saves people time.

I guess it's a matter of time, hopefully.

1 comment: