Monday, 25 November 2013

TFS Error - There is not enough space on the disk

I've been working on trying to automate our development workflow or in other words I've been banging my head against the TFS wall trying to set up CI.

I thought i had everything working when I encountered this little beauty for one of the ASP.NET projects:

The build server had over 20 GB of free space, so I was somewhat baffled by this error message, so I did what every self respecting IT professional does: I started bouncing stuff.

After I bounced, the build agent, build service and the server itself, all to no avail, I hit the interwebs where I found the solution.

This error has got nothing to do with disk space, it's related to tempory files not being deleted in this folder:
C:\Windows\\Framework64\<version>\Temporary ASP.NET Files
I checked the folder and sure enough there was a subfolder with the name of one of the projects. I deleted this and the builds started to complete again.

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

ADFS - Turning Debug Tracing on

I was struggling last week with some ADFS issues and I decided to turn debug tracing on to see if it threw any light as to why it wasn't working, it didn't, the issue was somewhere else, but it might be useful for future reference, so here it goes:

1. Start the event viewer:
Start | Run | eventvwr
2. Disable ADFS event log:
3. Run the following command with elevated permissions (i.e. Run as Administrator):
wevtutil sl "AD FS 2.0 Tracing/Debug" /l:5
4. Enable ADFS event log.
5. Ensure that Analytic and Debug logs are enabled
  View | Show Analytic and Debug logs
6. Enjoy all the debug output goodness.

Friday, 15 November 2013

Exit codes in msi installers created with Wix

There was (is?) a bug in Wix that prevented successful creation of an SSL binding in IIS 7.5, so in order to get around this issue, I wrote a custom action to do this.

A failure in this custom action will not stop the installation*, which means that the exit code will be driven by the custom action failure, which will lead to the exit code being 1603 but the product installing, since the failure is relating to setting the certificate for a webpage, this actually has no effect as the newly installed website picks up the old certificate.

The problem was in our install scripts, where we check on the exit code to ascertain whether the installation was successful, which it wasn't as the exit code was 1603 but since the app was actually there this lead to a lot of confusion and head scratching.

Thought I'd share in case somebody does something as a stupid as I did.

*I've edited the custom action code so that it does not always return success now. There was a perfectly valid reason for the code to always return a success value and I will talk about it as soon as I find it.

Selected output from the install log file:

CustomAction UpdateBinding returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
UpdateBinding. Return value 3.
INSTALL. Return value 3.

Product:  Portal -- Installation failed.
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Portal. Product Version: Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Yo! Ltd. Installation success or error status: 1603.